YOUR AD HERE
|You are HERE >> Language Arts > Grammar > Grade 9|
by Elaine Ernst Schneider
Pre-Class Assignment: Completion/review Nouns
Read "That Dratted Apostrophe."
The pronoun is the second of the eight parts of speech. Just for the record, here are all eight:
noun, pronoun, adjective, verb, adverb, preposition, conjunction, and interjection.
Pronouns can be used in different ways. They can be personal, indefinite, interrogative, and demonstrative.
Personal pronouns have a sub-category called possessive.
First, let's start with a basic definition:
take the place of nouns to name persons, places, things, or ideas.
I, me, you, he, him, she, her, it, we, us, they,
POSSESSIVE PERSONAL PRONOUNS:
my, mine, your, yours, his, her, hers, its, our, ours, their, theirs
****Note that there are no apostrophes used with possessive personal pronouns. This includes "its." Just as you would say "That is hers," you would say "Success is its own reward." It's stands for the contraction that represents "It is" or "It has." It's is NEVER possessive.
Anybody, anyone, each, either, none, someone, somebody, both, everyone, no one, neither, many, few, several, one.
Some indefinite pronouns are singular, some are plural, and some may be
used as both singular and plural. This will be discussed in a future lesson.
who, whom, what, which, whose
this, that, these, those
Assignment(s) including Answer key:
Find the pronouns in the following sentences.
1. He suggested that they clean up Wilmington Statue for their community service project.
__________ __________ _______________
2. They water-skied on Lake Erie.
3. Who was it you said vacationed in Canada all last month?
__________ _________ _________
4. The teacher asked her to report on that later.
5. The address on that clearly read Mexico.
6. Whose book is that?
7. Her story was about someone fleeing from a building.
8. Either is fine with me.
9. The factory blew into a thousand pieces, but no one heard it.
10. Mary was so excited that she ran all the way home.
11. Someone found Hemingway's journal after his death.
12. Tractors are good for young boys and girls who want to
practice their driving skills.
For more Lesson Plans in the Subject: Grade 9 Grammar
Legal & Privacy Notices